Paleo / Primal / Bacon / CleanEats Lifestyle
So the fine folks at Cappellos-Gluten and Grain Free Pasta Co. offered to send me some Paleo-friendly pasta products! I told them I would absolutely love to get them, as long as they knew I was going to do an honest review. They agreed 100%. In the mail I received 2 packages of fettuccini, and one of the following : lasagna, gnocchi, and their slice and bake chocolate chip cookies.
Now to be honest I was never a huge fan of Italian food but I figured I would give them a shot. I was most excited about the slice and bake cookies. They teamed up with the Paleo geniuses at PrimalPalate.com to come up with a slice and bake cookie. I have made 4 of them so far and slice them from the freezer with a sharp knife. I place them on a cookie sheet and out comes the most amazing cookie I have had in two years! I am very excited about that product! More on the cookies later in the week.
So I ventured on to making a lasagna. I have never made one before but I remember my Mom making lasagnas a lot growing up. It was the only Italian food I liked, more specifically one of the only things Mom made that I really liked…sorry Mom!
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 LB Italian Sausage
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1/4 cup Eggplant, cubed
- 1/4 cup bellpepper, diced
- 1/4cup onion, diced
- 1/4 mushrooms
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 jars of “Paleo-safe” pasta sauce or make your own…look in the organic section of your market for a clean sauce
Directions for Filling:
- cook down sausage in skillet, if it is linked sausage remove from casing
- drain sausage in colander to remove grease
- cook all of the veggies just until tender
- combine sausage and veggies in bowl and add just enough sauce to hold together
Directions for Making Lasagna:
- preheat oven to 350ºF
- in a baking dish at least 9×13″ ladle sauce into bottom and a layer of Cappellos Lasagna Noodles, you may have to cut noodles to fit, depending on size of pan
- layer sausage and veggie mix on top of noodles
- layer sauce on sausage and veggie mix
- place another layer of Cappellos lasagna noodles on top
- continue until you run out of noodles or mixture
- place sauce on top of final layer of lasagna and cover
- bake for 1 hour
- let cool for 10 minutes before slicing, trust me it will still be hot
In my opinion these are a great Paleo option for those looking for a pasta substitute. I enjoyed the dish and I was pondering what else I could do with the noodles from making manicotti to ravioli. I will be experimenting with these in the future! I highly recommend you check these products out, I can’t wait to cook the gnocchi and fettuccini. Order a lot they stay well in the freezer too!