Asian Pork Skewers
With grilling season upon us, be prepared for plenty of WWJME grill posts! I love grilling, it is nice cooking outside, makes less of a mess with dishes, and doesn’t heat up your house or make it smell with food aromas. I wanted to make a dish with grilled fruit on it so this was the perfect combination. Pork, Pineapple Skewers in an Asian marinade.
Ingredients for the Marinade:
- 4 Tbsp. coconut aminos or Tamari(gluten-free soy sauce), if you can handle a little soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar – Is Vinegar Paleo?
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
Ingredients for Skewers:
- 1 lb. boneless center-cut pork chops, cut into 1 inch cubes
- fresh pineapple chunks, not sure of an amount I bought a fresh one and ate what I didn’t use
- 1 bell-pepper cut into chunks
- red cocktail onions, I found these at my local store in a package, perfect to put on a skewer, if you can’t find these just cut a red onion into chunks or wedges
- Mix together ingredients for marinade and add diced up pork and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, the longer the better here, I did mine overnight
- soak skewers for 30mins in water so they don’t burn
- place pork, pineapple, onion and pepper on skewers, alternating each ingredient. TIP ( Do not place pineapple near meat if making in advance, the pineapple will actually break down the pork, trust me I made this mistake last summer)
- heat grill to high and grill skewers until pork is cooked to your desired temperature
all prepared and ready to grill!
grilled to perfection!
This was an amazingly simple meal. The hardest part was waiting for the pork to marinate so do it overnight! Like I mentioned before don’t place the pineapple near the pork, place it in between the onions and bell pepper if you are making these in advance. I made some shrimp and pineapple skewers last year and prepared them the day before, left them in the fridge and the pineapple broke down the shrimp into mush.